Moroccan Squash and Spinach Stew.
1 cup chopped carrots (about 3 medium)
1 medium butternut squash cubed (about 2.5 lbs)
5.5 cups shredded spinach
1 cup low sodium veggie broth
4 cloves chopped garlic
14.5 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
1 tsp cumin ½ tsp cinnamon ½ tsp red pepper flakes
15 oz can no salt added garbanzo beans
1. Peel and chop butternut squash into half inch cubes and place in slow cooker
2. Chop 3 medium carrots (about one cup) and place in slow cooker
3. Chop/shred about 10oz of spinach (equals about 5.5 cups shredded) and place in slow cooker
3. Chop garlic gloves and place in slow cooker
4. Add 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes UNDRAINED to slow cooker
5. Add 1 (or 1.5) cups low sodium vegetable broth to slow cooker
6. Add spices and mix all ingredients
7. Cook on low for 5-6 hours depending on your slow cooker (very difficult to over cook-I cooked mine for almost 8)
8. Add 15 oz can of garbanzo beans and cook on high for five minutes
9. Season with salt and pepper (I used garlic salt...muwhahahaha-I love garlic)
10. DEVOUR :)
Makes approximately 6 generous 1 cup servings.
Nutritional Stats (from Spark People): 163 calories, 1.6 grams fat, 10 grams fiber, 6.8 grams protein
In the slow cooker (doesn't it look pretty):
Because I'm lazy in the mornings, I chopped everything up the night before and put the pot from my slow cooker in my fridge overnight. So the next morning, I popped it into the slow cooker and let it cook away while I was at work all day :) It was a wonderful aroma to come home too especially on a cold, yucky, rainy day. I put individual servings in containers and tossed them in the freezer so the next time I need a last minute meal-I have yummy stew waiting.
Do you have any good slow cooker recipes that you rely on?