Monday, January 11, 2010

Southwestern Spaghetti Squash

For a long time I was scared of making any dishes involving spaghetti squash.  First, how did I get the noodles?  What would happen if I burnt the squash?  What if I hated the taste?  Finally I convinced myself that 2010 would be the year of eating outside the box and I was going to tackle the Spaghetti Squash.  I created a Southwestern Spaghetti Squash dish that was not only healthy and delicious but very easy with only a few ingredients.  Here's the recipe:

Sarah's Southwestern Spaghetti Squash  

Ingredients:
-1 small spaghetti squash (2 cups of "noodles")
-0.5 cup black beans (I used Goya)
-0.5 cup chopped onion
-0.5 cup chopped mushrooms
-0.5 cup salsa (I used mild-but super spicy foods do not agree with my tummy)
-0.5 tsp taco seasoning

Directions:
1. Chop spaghetti squash in half. Place squash cut side down in a baking pan filled with an inch of water. Roast squash at 400 F for 45-50 minutes.


2. Remove spaghetti squash from oven and use a fork to make "spaghetti noodles".  Place spaghetti squash noodles in a strainer.


3. Chop mushroom and onion. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and saute onion/mushrooms for  a minute or two.  Add the black beans and taco seasoning.


4.  Add 2 cups of spaghetti squash "noodles" to the skillet.  Saute for another two minutes.


5.  Turn off the stove and place contents of skillet on a plate.  Add 0.5 cup of salsa and mix.


6. Devour!!

It took all my self control not eat this dish in five seconds!  The salsa and taco seasoning added just enough spice to my veggies and black beans.  This dish is easy and very adaptable to individual tastes (and fridge contents).  A combination of red peppers and cilantro could be yummy :) Plus if you like super spicy, add some red pepper flakes and/or chili powder.

Here are the nutritional stats (from Spark People): 249 calories, 1.9 grams fat, 14.3 grams fiber, 12.7 grams protein.

Have you ever tried spaghetti squash?  If so what, are you favorite recipes??  Plus do you have any food resolutions for 2010?


2 comments:

  1. yum! I haven't had spaghetti squash in a long time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for stopping by my blog! I love spaghetti squash either plain with butter spray and red pepper flakes, or topped with a chunky pasta sauce. Oh and in regards to my detox...I have to admit, I'm off it as of 2 today when I had some chocolate. But it felt great to eat really really well for a few days, so I got something out of it!

    ReplyDelete