Friday, May 28, 2010

Lazy Gal's Mexican Fiesta

I love Tex Mex food (almost as much as I love a good margarita) and actually I've found that homemade Mexican inspired cuisine can be both healthy and vegan :)  As much as I enjoy cooking, when I finally get home around 7:30-8pm after work, long commute, and working out-I'm often exhausted and just want to eat without much fuss or energy.  Therefore I'm always on the prowl for yummy healthy and fast recipes/meal inspirations.  And I present to you Lazy Gal's Mexican Black Bean Soup based on this recipe from the Happy Herbivore.

Ingredients:


  • 15.5 oz can black beans
  • 16 oz jar salsa
  • 4 oz  can of green chilies
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 cup water
Directions
  1. Place all ingredients into medium sauce pan
  2. Blend using immersion blender
  3. Heat then eat!

This yummy soup is quick, easy, and healthy.  If you don't have an immersion blender, heat the ingredients on the stove then transfer sections to your blender or you can leave it chunky.  Makes about four servings (depending how much you want to eat at once).

I ate this paired with one of my Mexican fiesta salads:


Spinach, yellow summer squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, silken tofu blended with salsa (fabulous dressing)

This meal is both satisfyingly delicious and very healthy (key after a good workout) with ample amounts of protein (tofu and black beans) plus a gazillion veggies.  Blending silken tofu with salsa (and other liquids-I've done balsamic vinegar and Bragg's liquid aminos) creates a great salad dressing filled with protein!

Do you have any quick recipes for those busy night when you don't feel like cooking??

3 comments:

  1. Dude! I could so make that when my mom sends me her salsa! The only thing I would be missing is the green chilies. But, I could use the peppers or something here! They are HOT HOT! I was wanting to make some vegetarian chili this week coming up. YUM! Looks great girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check mine out at www.everybodyspersonaltrainer.com

      Delete