Saturday, May 15, 2010

Feeding the Non Vegans in My Life

Now I might be a horrible vegan BUT my brothers and father are not about to eat my tofu hot dogs.  So when I cook for my family, I often cook meat and other animal products.  But I do my best to make healthy meals that my brothers and father will enjoy.  For my meat eating readers here is one of my favorite recipes to make for the boys: Pizza Biscuit Casserole

Ingredients:

  • Fat free or low fat refrigerated biscuits
  • 1 (or 2) jars favorite pizza sauce
  • Fat free or low fat mozzarella cheese
  • Ground beef (turkey, soy crumbles, etc)
Directions:

1. Open biscuit dough and cut into quarters and place in a 9x13 dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Cover entire bottom of dish.


2. Pour jars of pizza sauce over cut up biscuits.


3. Add ground beef (browned)


4. Top with  mozzarella then bake at 375 F for 30 minutes or until the sauce bubbles/the cheese has melted.


Voila!  Very simple and quick casserole that's a crowd pleaser.  My family loves pizza but this casserole puts a new twist on the pizza pie.  I round out the meal with some green beans sautéed with garlic plus I make my brothers pick a piece of fruit too (typically banana or strawberries).  This can be incredibly "healthified" by using ground turkey or soy crumbles and fat free mozzarella plus if you're a vegetarian you can use soy crumbles and you've got a yummy vegetarian main dish.  On nights when I cook for my Dad and brothers I will just whip up something else for me to eat that's vegan friendly. 

Do you ever make multiple meals to please every member of your family?  And if you are a vegan/vegetarian do you ever prepare meat or animal products for the non veggies in your life?




3 comments:

  1. I don't eat beef or pork (and am seriously thinking of going full on vegetarian), and I don't cook it for Jason either. I don't have a problem with him cooking it, but I feel like if I'm going to cook, I want to be able to eat it too.

    How long have you been vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often times make meat dishes for my husband. Usually it's just throwing something on the grill so it's not too much of a hassle. There is no way he is going to stop eating meat, but he is starting to appreciate that meat doesn't need to be the star of every meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always making a separate meal for Bryan - its impossible to get him to eat the same things as I do. I prefer to make him something at home than go out to eat all the time, which I'm sure he would prefer! when are we getting together again? =) chopt?

    ReplyDelete